Adventures of the Links

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there are a few things that factor into that:

1. Sequels usually suck (see: 90% of movie sequels or TV spin-offs). Of course, for movie sequels, it's usually because there was a love story in the original, so they have to include that love in the second, and something has to be going wrong with the relationship, or else it's not dramatic. Or something.

2. I can't think of a plot, since AotL was mostly just making fun of every video game world (Zelda, Mario, Kirby, Pokémon, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Metroid, and Megaman). This is why I didn't really know what to do in Zarxis - I had to make it up. It turned out all right, but... it definitely wasn't as humorous as the rest of the chapters, since nobody could really make fun of the world.

If I were to make a sequel, then I'd either have to make up a world or worlds (in which case the humor would have to change, which would totally change the feel of the comic), or find more worlds to satirize. The only worlds I can think of that I know well enough to satirize (and find good sprites for) are:

Wario Land (though there isn't a whole lot here)

Fire Emblem (this would be a lot of fun)

Mother (probably 3, since Ness is a robot, but I have no idea about Mother 3)

Golden Sun (I'd have to replay these games first)

Banjo-Kazooie (this would be tough with no 3-D Link sprites)

And I could probably do more Zelda stuff as well. The other world I could do, but don't have good sprites for, is Animal Crossing. So a chance for a sequel is, sadly, pretty slim.

Plus, I also have Super Sprite Bros. (of course, this hinges on Phaeon actually doing work) and KG Calibur (which will hopefully get rolling again later this week, and WILL have a sequel). So I've got enough work cut out for me.

ideas:

-A different FF (probably 5... why are they all nodding?)

-Donkey Kong

-Kingdom hearts (like, Sora makes more than guest apperances)

-Bomberman

...all of which I'm sure you've played more than Megaman.

FF - I was actually thinking of Tactics, since that would be pretty cool (particularly giving the Links jobs).

DK - I've played 64, but not the Lands or Countrys. I thought about it, but I don't know how the sprites would work.

KH - I played the first one. I don't remember anything about it, and all of the sprites are for the GBA game (which I haven't touched, and therefore don't know who any of the villains are).

Bomberman - I don't think so. Blue's the only one with bombs, so the rest of the team would be sitting ducks.

With the newer bomberman games, there's a lot more exploration. I know you've played 64 and 64-2, at the least.

If it's the enemies you're worried about, remember that it doesn't just have to be bombs that kill them. It's just that those are Bomberman's only weapon.

In that case, I sense some intense N64 gaming in your future... :Holy Crap:

Meh, if you think there isn't enough material, that's up to you, I guess.

or you need to play a few more game series (Disgaea would be a good one...)

• 2 months later...

I've been planning (kinda sorta) a second adventure for the Links. It will likely be shorter than this one, as all of the major franchises are finished. So far, here are my thoughts:

- 3 new Zelda temples (Desert, Ice, Sky)

- Bomberman

- Wario

- Fire Emblem

- Pokémon (it would have to be D/P)

- Donkey Kong (?)

- FF Tactics

- FF 5 (?)

- Golden Sun

Pokémon has a lot of weird crap that's remained untouched, and there's even more in D/P.

Donkey Kong might be cool - I'd just have to do a lot of planning (and probably play DK64 again).

Wario won't be too bad, except that he looks psychotic in WL4, but that might work out fine.

Bomberman would be interesting just for the sake of having Blue battle a bunch of Bombers.

Fire Emblem will be really cool, if I can figure out maps and stuff (also need to decide on the main protagonist).

Final Fantasy Tactics (or FFTA) would be good if the sprites were decent. All of them for FFT have the arms missing, and there aren't any of the jobs for FFTA. Also, the fact that they're isometric would mean that I would have to iso all of the other sprites (not gonna do that for Wario or FE). So I'm skipping that.

Different Final Fantasys... well, I haven't really played any of them in a long time, and 7 is the only one I can remember the plot for (and there's been too many spin-offs for that anyway, though that gives me an idea). 5 would be cool for Link jobs, but I'd have to review the game. A lot.

Golden Sun would be okay, but there's nothing really weird about the games... plus I'd have to find good "back" sprites for the Links. Just doesn't work.

I think those were all of my thoughts so far... of course, this hinges on a couple of things:

1. Time

2. ZU reading the first adventure (I'm going to start posting 2-3 comics every MWF to speed it along - up to 6 readers, and they think the second episode is funny... I don't even think the 2nd episode is funny... then again, I've read some of their most popular comics, and they aren't that funny, but they're pretty because they use more than MS Paint... but anyway, with the current plan, that'll be done in November)

3. Proper amount of planning

It is quite possible that this comic will be a flop by comparison. I wasn't planning on making a second adventure anytime during the first adventure, and as such, I used most of my good material (and the good franchises that I'm familiar with) in AotL1. We'll have to see.

So yeah, expect AotL2 to hit KG sometime in November. Yes, it's a long wait, but it might just give me the time I need to figure this out. :Wink:

Edited by Yulelog30000

Play Disgaea. Either of them.

I'd give you one of them for the summer, if I thought you'd play it.

oh, and sprite database at drshnaps has a few of the tatcits advance classes (but not all of them). I'm sure i found all of them somewhere at one time or another. Just so you know.

I'll try to think of more junk. Maybe.

Disgaea's iso, isn't it? I'll run into the same problems I potentially would for the tactics game (such as making all of the other sprites iso). I'd rather not have to deal with it.

EDIT: Also, AotL2 may be coming sooner...

Like, a lot sooner...

Like, in 2-5 weeks kind of sooner.

:Holy Crap:

Edited by Yulelog30000