LoZ Manga coming to the US

Legend of Zelda manga coming stateside

Usually, we don't often partake in "the mangas." Sometimes you have to read them backwards, which makes our heads hurt, and frankly, we don't think our black jeans are comically baggy enough to pull the whole "manga reader" look off. That said, we think we'll be forced to make an exception for a Legend of Zelda manga that's reportedly coming stateside.

In an effort to make no more than one manga-related post per month, we also wanted to let you know that GoNintendo got its hands on the cover for the Phoenix Wright manga headed our way. It's totally uninspiring, save for the presence of Godot, the coolest prosecutor since Sam Waterston. ... Crap, are we going to have to buy two mangas? We're going to have to go get our jeans let out.

AWESOME

I might just wanna check if this is import-friendly and do-able.

I need this.

Hah! YES! I'm really looking forward to the Majora's Mask one, since that game has the most interesting backstory of any Zelda game to date. I can't wait to find out tiny details that I didn't know about before. Also, Link's not a mute! :Holy Crap:

Also, the Phoenix Wright manga sounds good too. MOAR objection.gif PLEASE! :Holy Crap:

I'd get them all. ALL. :D I'm looking forward to the release as well!

Oh, I would surely get them all, but I'm probably looking forward to the Majora's Mask one the most. Favourite game and all.

Various shops are listing an October 7th release date for a curiously titled book, “The Legend of Zelda: Volume 1″. This appears to be the long-awaited English release of the Zelda manga series by Akira Himekawa (which is actually the pen-name for a creative duo). Himekawa has (have) created manga adaptations of many Zelda video games, including Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask and Link to the Past, creating nine volumes (or ”Tankobon” for you Japan-jargon-lovers) to date. While faithful adaptations, some changes are made to the plot, there are some bonus side-stories not featured in the games, and most notably, Link speaks!

Viz Media, one of the US’s biggest manga publishers which have popular titles such as Naruto, Bleach and Fullmetal Alchemist under their belt, appears to be the publisher. It is unknown where exactly they are starting with the releases, though it would be logical to assume they will start with the Ocarina of Time adaptation - the first created, and undoubtedly the most popular. Also, due to the ambiguous title on the listings, we don’t know if Viz are planning to release each separate game adaptation as separate series or as the one, nine-volume series.

Regardless of the trivialities, the Zelda manga series has always been a grey area for Western fans - many resorting to reading online translations (or even importing and pretending they understand Japanese!), so this news will undoubtedly please, especially Zelda fans who dabble in anime.

(Note: While Viz Media are an American company, their titles are quite east to get ahold of in UK bookstores, and especially on shopping sites such as Amazon. So don’t worry about that costly importing, fellow Brits.)

WOO. Yay for having to wait 7-8 months. XD

I guess Viz Media is alright.

Viz Media? Eh... I guess it's alright. I only have Naruto and Ranma /2 from them. It's pretty okay as for as translation goes.

I would have preferred ADV to do this though. >>

Edited by Trucy Wright
  • 1 month later...
Zelda Manga #2: December

Fans won’t have long to wait after getting their first taste of the Zelda manga series (volume 1 of which is released October 7th), as Amazon.com are listing volume 2 (of 2) of the Ocarina of Time adaptation for a December 2nd release - less than two months after the first. A good move for Viz Media, who often use lengthy release schedules for short, popular series.

Woo!