The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was really hoping (by the way Aonuma was talking too...) that the cloak would come off and Link was a girl. Some people are still thinking that might be the case and I would love it so much.

I really like how it looks. I'll need to see more of it to say for sure though. Beyond anything else the fluidity of the motion seemed really impressive.

By the way Hanz, why is it not cool that Link is a guy? I honestly do not see the problem with it either way. If you want to make the argument that it would be progressive, I could easily make the counterpoint that being progressive for progressive's sake is in fact not being progressive at all. If Link were to ever be a female (which I am opposed to, may the heavens help my obviously sexist soul) the most important thing, I think, would be that it didn't feel forced and wasn't emphasized.

Nothing, the problem is the misleading phrasing of the original statement. There is a large contingent of fans who want a female Link or playable main character Zelda (myself very much included), and it feels like the first statement was an intentionally false lead.

I am by no means the only one disappointed about this:

http://www.themarysue.com/no-lady-led-zelda-game-after-all/

The problem I have with that is two-fold.

One is that measuring intent is inherently subjective. What Aonuma said might just be what he said. I didn't read it as "Link might be female" at all until I saw it pop up on a message board. People are blaming Aonuma for something he didn't do himself, but that they did to themselves.

Another one is that people are implying a female Link is somehow better, more positive or more good than a male Link. I have a problem with this because not only is it sexist towards men, it is actually sexist towards women as well. No one person is in and of themselves better because of their gender.

And then there is the absolutely asinine comparison to the Assassin's Creed thing which is just clueless. You'd think a person advocating something like this on a blog like this would know better.

Having Zelda be playable would be great. Having Link be a woman would be weird, and I agree with Robo concerning people misconstruing his words. Saying "I didn't say it was Link" doesn't mean that it's NOT Link - it just means that nobody asked him and he was joking around at assumptions people make. People getting all up-in-arms about it is silly. Other game developers make the same joke about other games ("Who says that's Mario?"), and nobody goes crazy over it like they did with this, which they did because there was a possibility, with the way Link looked, that the horseback character was female (I admittedly thought it could be Zelda, though that didn't make me any more excited for the game, really).

Exactly what LM said.

And I'd like to emphasize that although I think a female Link would be a stupid idea for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which is that I think that making characters female for the sake of them being female is just plain dumb, if they were to create a Zelda game with a female link, it's not like I wouldn't play it. I'm sure it's still just as great. It's just that bogging the series down with gender politics is really tiring and stupid to me.

How about we create a new game with a female lead that actually is her own character instead of refitting male characters to be female characters? What this whole uproar implies to me is that we as a western culture, even these so-called "feminists", still do not see a female character as wholesome and worthy of being her own thing as a male character. No, we must forcefully squeeze a female character into this role. Because that's "progressive" apparently. It reeks of hypocrisy to me.

As long as they don't make a Zelda game like Super Princess Peach, I'd be fine with a female lead.

Back to the topic at hand though, I'm interested to see why the arrows look like they're mechanical (and why there are lasers in a fantasy world). It seems out of place with the backdrop, but then, I was concerned about the trains in Spirit Tracks at first as well.