Nintendo can't decide on ALttP or MM remake...

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/06/12/next-zelda-remake-on-3ds-could-either-be-majoras-mask-or-a-link-to-the-past/

Speaking with a Portuguese games site last year, The Legend of Zelda series producer, Eiji Aonuma, shared that, while Nintendo were considering a Nintendo 3DS remake of The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask, it wouldn’t feel right to release another Zelda remake right after Ocarina of Time 3D.

Instead, it would likely be a new title, and it wouldn’t be connected to the Zelda games on the Nintendo DS. Prior to that, he also hinted that having 3D in the game would “mean something”.

Speaking with IGN more recently at E3, Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed that a Majora’s Mask remake is still under consideration, but that something involving A Link to the Past—which he had expressed interest in on a previous occasion—was also a possibility.

"We haven’t quite decided yet, whether we’re going to do A Link to the Past, because there’s also the possibility of doing a remake of Majora’s Mask," Miyamoto shared with IGN. "This is something we’ve certainly been talking about and doing a little bit of experimenting with, to figure out which way we’re going to go."

"We have so many goals right now," Miyamoto said. "We’re always looking at expanding our audience and giving people the opportunity to get their hands on 3DS and see what kind of fun gaming experiences they can have. And now, we’re also tasked with pushing the Wii U. So we have lots of good opportunities in terms of thinking about which Zelda game is going to be best for which purpose."

I'll take em both!

Give me MM, I haven't actually beaten it before. Putting it on the 3ds would make it way easier on me, and I've already got aLttP on handheld.

I would like to see them focus their efforts on a new Zelda game, instead of a remake. However, if they're as bad (opinion, of course) as the DS games and Skyward Sword were, I wouldn't mind a MM or ALTTP remake. I would honestly like to see them make a game in the veins of the original Zelda, with an open world, sparse story (because there's only so many times that you can tell the same story without it getting old), and non-linear gameplay, but I think the closest we're going to get to that is 3D Dot Game Heroes, since today's Zelda's are more concerned with cinematics and gimmicks than thoughtful gameplay.

Edited by Haku

I would like to see them focus their efforts on a new Zelda game, instead of a remake. However, if they're as bad (opinion, of course) as the DS games and Skyward Sword were, I wouldn't mind a MM or ALTTP remake. I would honestly like to see them make a game in the veins of the original Zelda, with an open world, sparse story (because there's only so many times that you can tell the same story without it getting old), and non-linear gameplay, but I think the closest we're going to get to that is 3D Dot Game Heroes, since today's Zelda's are more concerned with cinematics and gimmicks than thoughtful gameplay.

Get that outta town! DS Zelda games are NOT bad! Spirit Tracks has some of the better dungeons in recent memory. The only two faults with them is that they focus too much on the WW mindset: "Giant world with nothing in it" and that some of the dungeons are Room A with monsters > Room B with monsters > etc. > Boss. I do agree with you as far as the story crap and gimmicks in general. That is getting old.

Give me a new Zelda! I don't want remakes! Go in a bold new direction with it! Give me a true legend. The brilliance of the name gets understated and gets snowed under by everything else. Link can be anyone because a legend can be anything within very loose story constraints. Maybe a 'purposely forgotten' legend where Link actually gets defeated? Stupid idea but that's why I don't write stories.

Basically, something new!

Get that outta town! DS Zelda games are NOT bad! Spirit Tracks has some of the better dungeons in recent memory. The only two faults with them is that they focus too much on the WW mindset: "Giant world with nothing in it" and that some of the dungeons are Room A with monsters > Room B with monsters > etc. > Boss. I do agree with you as far as the story crap and gimmicks in general. That is getting old.

Most of the game is not spent in dungeons. And when it's not, it's a bland, on-rails (pun intended) fetch quest.

I will say that the dungeons are a lot better, longer and less frustrating than those in PH (let's not remember The Temple of the Ocean King), but they're still easy and redundant. However, the missions outside the dungeons are the worst of any Zelda game in recent memory. Well, not counting the CD-i games.

Give me a new Zelda! I don't want remakes! Go in a bold new direction with it! Give me a true legend. The brilliance of the name gets understated and gets snowed under by everything else. Link can be anyone because a legend can be anything within very loose story constraints. Maybe a 'purposely forgotten' legend where Link actually gets defeated? Stupid idea but that's why I don't write stories.

Basically, something new!

Yes, please. Zelda's have become so predicable and boring that they no longer have that sense of magic and wonder they once had. It's because Nintendo likes stick to the formula instead of taking risks. Ironic, considering how they like to take "risks" in the hardware department. I guess they need formulaic, recognizable games to sell their crappy, dated hardware.

Also, more tingle.

<_>

Edited by Haku

Most of the game is not spent in dungeons. And when it's not, it's a bland, on-rails (pun intended) fetch quest.

I will say that the dungeons are a lot better, longer and less frustrating than those in PH (let's not remember The Temple of the Ocean King), but they're still easy and redundant. However, the missions outside the dungeons are the worst of any Zelda game in recent memory. Well, not counting the CD-i games.

Most of ST is in dungeons. IIRC all the stuff outside of dungeons consists of driving around in your little train. There aren't really any large 'on-foot' quests. I didn't mind the train stuff but I can see why it can get frustrating. Temple of the Ocean King was ok...only part I didn't like was having to do previous 5 levels again with new items to get better times because your sand ran out. Oh, and the final boss fight which either had crappy drawing detection or was just glitched. I could not get that shape drawing to work right 99% of the time.

Yes, please. Zelda's have become so predicable and boring that they no longer have that sense of magic and wonder they once had. It's because Nintendo likes stick to the formula instead of taking risks. Ironic, considering how they like to take "risks" in the hardware department. I guess they need formulaic, recognizable games to sell their crappy, dated hardware.

Crappy dated hardware? Maybe if you like good specs but otherwise I'd say for the majority of people it's quite alright. Most Wii games didn't look that good, sure, but the Mario Galaxy's and co are still impressive IMHO. Probably mostly due to art, but that's part of the other systems visuals too.

I do like how you bring up the point about 'risks' though... Nintendo does take a lot of risk and is very bold with the hardware, yet on the software side they have been playing it safe for quite some time now as far as their major franchises go. It seems they just tailor their franchises to their systems, hoping the innovation will follow, but often this isn't the case. STILL, I think iterating isn't bad in and of itself. I've cited the example before where everybody goes nuts over something like Rayman Origins, but lambasts NSMB Wii for being iterative. I think NSMB Wii and the Galaxy's are great iterations on a proven concept. (Galaxy's go a bit above and beyond too)

Give something that's not anything like Skyward Sword and I'll be happy. Also, more tingle.

Ironically, the only Tingle game I have ever played, which came out this generation, is one of my favorite 'Zelda' games to date.

So I say yes to that.

Most of ST is in dungeons. IIRC all the stuff outside of dungeons consists of driving around in your little train. There aren't really any large 'on-foot' quests. I didn't mind the train stuff but I can see why it can get frustrating. Temple of the Ocean King was ok...only part I didn't like was having to do previous 5 levels again with new items to get better times because your sand ran out. Oh, and the final boss fight which either had crappy drawing detection or was just glitched. I could not get that shape drawing to work right 99% of the time.

There's only like 5 dungeons and one repeated dungeon in the 20-30 hour adventure. Most of the time is spent on the train, which I really didn't like. I thought PH's sailing was OK, since there was actually some stuff to see, but the "overworld" in ST was barebones. There's some really annoying fetch quests in ST (go get this timber from all the way across the map, while making sure your rider's happy) and tons of other filler. Still, I thought it was better than PH, mainly due to the superior dungeon design.

Crappy dated hardware? Maybe if you like good specs but otherwise I'd say for the majority of people it's quite alright. Most Wii games didn't look that good, sure, but the Mario Galaxy's and co are still impressive IMHO. Probably mostly due to art, but that's part of the other systems visuals too.

I'm not just talking about graphics. For the 3DS, it's a lot of things. The stock battery is freaking terrible. I only get 2 hours of gameplay on my 3DS (3D on, 2nd to brightest setting, connected online), when I get 5 hours with my stock Vita battery (brightness 80%, connected online, Bluetooth off). I still have no idea why they didn't include a second analog stick. Camera control (and not with the freaking touch screen) is mandatory in 3D games, and lack of a second analog stick was a terrible decision. They tried to correct their mistake with the circle pad pro, but that looks like an ergonomic nightmare. Plus, you can't really access your game slot or the volume slider with it on. Friend codes: why do we still have to use you! Let us make gamertags like modern gaming devices use. No achievements/trophies. It's not a big complaint, but they can really enhance the game's replay value. Plus, I can't think of a single modern system/program that doesn't have system/program wide achievements. Also, the design is really dated. The design really cuts into your hands, especially if you're playing a game with the slider/touch screen. It's extremely uncomfortable to play for long periods of time.

The Wii has so many problems. No 3rd party support (because it can't handle modern day graphics), the lack of buttons, no 2nd analog stick, Wi-Fi only online play (which turns into a laggy mess for a lot of games), Friend Codes, flash memory storage for a console, restrictions on the data size of games on the Wii Store, so many peripherals for games, some of which that are required, etc. It looks like Wii U will continue that tradition.

Well, now I'm rambling. :P

I do like how you bring up the point about 'risks' though... Nintendo does take a lot of risk and is very bold with the hardware, yet on the software side they have been playing it safe for quite some time now as far as their major franchises go. It seems they just tailor their franchises to their systems, hoping the innovation will follow, but often this isn't the case. STILL, I think iterating isn't bad in and of itself. I've cited the example before where everybody goes nuts over something like Rayman Origins, but lambasts NSMB Wii for being iterative. I think NSMB Wii and the Galaxy's are great iterations on a proven concept. (Galaxy's go a bit above and beyond too)

Yeah, innovation doesn't really come when Nintendo scares off any interested 3rd party developers. I can't really comment on Rayman because I've only played the demo (which I thought was pretty good, but that's besides the point). However, I enjoyed Galaxy 2 and 3D Land because the level design felt fresh and interesting. I feel like I'm playing the same NSMB game every time a new one comes out.

I may start a new topic soon about things you like/dislike about Zelda, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, and gaming as a whole, since this thread is really off topic. But it's 3 AM, so maybe some other time.

Yes, please. Zelda's have become so predicable and boring that they no longer have that sense of magic and wonder they once had. It's because Nintendo likes stick to the formula instead of taking risks.

Hm... I seem to remember the Gamecube era being full of risks. Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Star Fox Adventures, Wario World, Four Swords Adventure, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, and Pokémon Colosseum come to mind. How many of those games came out with people really excited about them? Probably just Pikmin. They all did decently in the market, but all of them were quite different from their predecessors and other games of the time, and none of them are anywhere near anybody's Top 5 per series, except perhaps Pikmin (which only has 2 games so far, so of course it'll make it) and Metroid Prime.

So, as a developer, you have to wonder: What should we do? Should we continue to take risks and make new games that really change the mechanics? Or do we go back to our roots and pull out the old mechanics? Cue New Super Mario Bros., Twilight Princess, and Star Fox Assault. There were some changes, but it was mostly going back to their old roots. Now the fans cry foul because they're too similar to older games.

You're caught between a rock and a hard place. The fans, as a whole, don't like either direction you try to go. Getting a happy medium between the two types is difficult, so they try for new controls with old-style... um, style. Skyward Sword, Spirit Tracks, Super Paper Mario, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Metroid: Other M, Wario Land: Shake It. None of these got the acclaim they were hoping for.

It's no wonder they're going for remakes. At least they know fans will like them. If they try something new and off the beaten path, fans hate that it's too different. If they go back to their roots, it's too similar. If they stay with the old game style, but add new controls, most people hate something about it. There's no way to go to make everybody happy.

At least, that's how I'd feel. Personally, I'll enjoy anything they send my way concerning Zelda. I haven't really disliked a single game in the series (though, admittedly, I haven't played the CD-i games, but I don't count those when I make that statement).