Then and Now

Inspired by some of the discussion in the Anniversary thread, where were you roughly 10 years ago and where are you now?

Then I was a 16 year old incredibly introverted high school student with next to no social skills who just decided to try interacting online for some reason.

Now I work as draftsman for a contractor and am living with my girlfriend of 6 years.

Ten years ago....I would've been 14, going into my freshman year of high school, very quiet, only talked to people on AIM, thought I was smarter than I am.

Now, am a college graduate jumping between lame entry-level temp jobs, am still quiet, still only talk to people online/text, still think I'm smarter than I am. Living alone in my house since my parents moved out to take over the grandparents' place. I am however, Company Serjeant Major of Charlie company in the 29th Worcestershire Regiment of Foot, a Mount&Blade: Napoleonic Wars regiment, and I consider that an accomplishment.

Let's see...

10 years ago, I was an 18-year-old senior in high school who was looking forward to college in the autumn (majoring in music education), but not wanting to have a job over the summer (even though it was already lined up, and ended up being really good for me).

I joined Zelda Central (The Forest Haven) about a year later, looking for people with similar interests besides music (mainly video games and Zelda, of course). I got big into the spriting community, even though I refused to work hard enough to make my comics look professional (because I had other things I wanted to do with my life besides spriting), but I was able to say that it was a stylistic choice. I suppose it was, in a sense.

I was invited to KG a few months after being a regular TFH member.

I am now a supervisor at Wells Fargo Home Mortgage, working with incoming mail and collateral files. I live with my wife of nearly 3 years (almost 7 years together). While I graduated with a degree in music education, I don't really use it, but I am working on creating a solo CD.

Ten years ago I was an eleven year-old clueless boy, on the verge of experiencing the worst bullying spree of his short life lasting practically his entire childhood, who treated his friends like trash and got into one of only two highest graded English bilingual high-school classes in the country. A boy who found his only outlet in life to be the message board he signed up for just to ask a question about how to solve a puzzle in The Wind Waker.

Now I hope to secure some kind of job security in the future, though it seems unlikelier to me by the second.

I think I was 18 when I first joined TFH and a very shy individual. I can't really remember much about that time, but I must have made a few friends there to help get KG up and running. If you were to ask me why I decided to create Kakariko Graveyard in the first place, I'd tell you I have no effin idea. I'm glad I did, though!

Since then, I've been to Racing College to learn how to take care of horses after they retire and I work part time at an animal rescue centre. Also, I have discovered a love for all things astronomical and spend many a night staring through a telescope at the stars.

I'm 29 and all grown up now, but still have plenty of time for gaming and most importantly, the reason why the majority of us met in the first place... The Legend of Zelda.

Ten years ago I was 10 (youngest one here still I guess), nearing the end of Grade 5. I was not on TFH (and certainly not KG) at that point I don't believe, or if I was it's scrubbed from my memory. I think I was 12 when I joined TFH, mostly out of interest in some artsy folks there. I was never particularly loud or noticeable, I didn't post all that much, but it was a daily thing coming and browsing.

Now I'm 20, going into my fourth year of university for a degree in biology. I run a blog that people actually read. I continue to game avidly both digitally and on the tabletop, I continue to do art though in a different form than before. I'm on the verge of independently publishing my own tabletop RPG book even though I'll never be allowed to sell it. And I am still not particularly loud or noticeable, don't post all that much, and am still here every single day - some things don't change I guess.

So, uh, there we have it. I've had almost half my life with you folks.

Edited by Ego

Since then, I've been to Racing College to learn how to take care of horses after they retire and I work part time at an animal rescue centre.

This is absolutely fantastic.

• 3 weeks later...

10 years ago I owned a very popular Zelda fan site, and 10 years later I get to read members reminisce those days....

Aspiring web designer then and Insurance Agent now....

Edited by Barry

10 years ago, I was a borderline-addled 13 year old.

Now I'm a borderline-addled 23 year old. I talk less shit about people on the internet, though.

I date back to the Forest Haven and really, I'm like totally floored seeing all these old faces here. Like faces, I see your names here and I can put a face to some of them! At a point, you were all a huge part of my life, and really, I came for the Zelda, and stayed for the feels.

Edited by Lil Rez